Eight beautiful works of art representing the remarkable talent of local Buderim artists and artisans have been donated to the Buderim Foundation as prizes for a very special raffle in support of the Buderim Foundation 2018 Community Challenge.
The unique work has been produced by members of art groups comprising Buderim Craft Cottage, a much-loved artists’ collective in the heart of Buderim village.
One of the prizes created as an artistic collaboration is a splendid contemporary quilt titled “Xanadu”. Designed by the Cottage’s Patchwork Group, and constructed from batik cottons, the quilt is designed for display in a foyer or large room, although it could be used as a bed quilt.
Buderim Foundation Chair Russell Stitz said the raffle is a great example of local organisations working together for a common goal.
“The Foundation is very fortunate to have the support of so many talented residents who are providing their time, talent and treasure in helping build a better Buderim.
“It is also fortunate to be part of a strong network of community and business organisations, including BWMCA and Buderim Craft Cottage, who collaborate to achieve things for our community”
The raffle proceeds will all go to two Trust Funds administered by the Foundation. The Trusts’ earnings fund the Foundation’s annual community grants programme, while the capital provided through donations, bequests and fundraising projects like this raffle remains in the Trust. Thus, the capital continues to be invested year after year to generate earnings for grants into the future.
Thus far, 66 local community groups have received Foundation grants, including 17 in 2017.
Raffle tickets at $5 each are on sale from a number of venues in the postcode 4556 area. Watch out for the posters around town.
The 8 prize winners will be drawn at 12 noon on Saturday 24th November at the annual Buderim Christmas Fair, held at the War Memorial Hall (3 Main St) and Craft Cottage (next door, 5 Main St). Raffle enquiries: Phone Jan Nelson 0408075750.
Artworks donated by the Buderim Craft Cottage for raffle:
- 1st Prize. “Xanadu”. Original art Quilt using batik cottons. Cottage Patchwork Group
- 2nd Prize. “The African Lady”. Designer: Trish Burr. Embroidery: Helen Walker. Framing donated by Art Nuvo Gallery, Buderim.
- 3rd Prize. Glazed Ceramic Bird Bath. By potter Jan Nelson.
- 4th Prize. “Reflection”. Charcoal drawing by artist Carol Clark
- 5th Prize. “Bears on Parade”. Framed painting by artist Gaye Cook. Pastel on paper.
- 6 th Prize: Sterling Silver Pendant and Chain. Set with cubic zirconia stone. Pendant by Silversmith Ann Dickson. Chain by members of Silversmith Group.
- 7th Prize. “A Bike called Chopper”. Made from recycled computer, VCR and watch parts. Copper wire forming the frame from equipment used at the 1988 World Expo, Brisbane. Made by John Litster, Mixed Media artist.
- 8 th Prize. Sashiko Tote Bag. Incorporating six Japanese Sashiko designs. Fully lined with pockets. Made by Inge Bosch.
For more information on the Buderim Foundation, visit the website at www.buderimfoundation.org.au.