Spring has sprung and everyone is focussed on clearing away the dust following the freak weather conditions recently but it’s not too late to include your own health in your spring-cleaning priorities, according to best-selling cookbook author Annette Sym.
Author of the No. 1 selling low-fat cookbook series ‘Symply Too Good To Be True’, Annette has herself been through the struggle of weight loss and understands the difficulty in breaking habits but has also managed to maintain a healthy lifestyle for over 17 years.
In our hectic lives, it is easy to put our wellbeing on the backburner and before we know it, summer has arrived and we are panicking about putting on our swimsuit.
Annette said the recent dust storms that have swept from Central Australia and through the east coast of Australia, even reaching New Zealand had prompted a late spring-cleaning frenzy, so she is urging people to also turn the cleaning spotlight on their health. “Forget dusting off your furniture and instead dust off your commitment to good health“, Annette said.
“The change could be as simple as looking at your diet and making the alterations needed to shift from the heavy winter casseroles into light salads,” she said.
“Simply by reviewing eating plans and making an effort to be more active this spring, by the time summer approaches the extra effort will have paid off so you can enjoy the beach with the family,” Annette said. Here are her 5 QUICK SPRING CLEAN TIPS
1) Clean out your pantry and fridge. Remove anything that is going to tempt you when you are feeling vulnerable.
2) For the next few weeks write a food diary so you can see where you may have been going wrong over winter.
3) Measure 2 litres of water out each morning so you can make sure you get your full quota in each day. Staying hydrated will give you more energy and help you feel less hungry.
4) Work out the next 7 days dinners so you can organise the groceries required and you know what to look forward to.
5) Plan time in your diary for exercise over the next few weeks, that way you make sure it happens. Plus it normally takes about 3 weeks for habits to form so give yourself time and soon you will be totally committed to your daily workout.
IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN YOU PLAN TO FAIL.
Now is the perfect time to take advantage of the fresh seasoned fruit and depending on your area, there is a large variety to choose from including strawberries, avocados and passionfruit. Not forgetting the huge amount of vegetables coming into season right now
Nuts, namely almonds, macadamias and walnuts, are also popular in spring and are a great source of protein and although high in fat, nuts only contain good fats that provide benefits to the heart.
For that extra support, Annette has created a 28-day weight loss program to provide all the assistance needed to be successful in your health journey. The program has been created to support, encourage, educate and empower you to reach your goals.
Annette said one of the main reasons why people fail on diets is they feel isolated, unsupported and alone so having that extra person encouraging you to keep going may mean success on the scales.
My program has included daily motivational emails to help you when you are feeling most vulnerable,” Annette said.
All Annette’s books and her Weight Loss Journal are available from all good newsagencies. The CD Rom Menu Planner and Motivational CDs are also available at selected outlets or from www.symplytoogood.com.au.
Visit the Symply Too Good website for more great low-fat cooking tips, to see Annette cooking a new recipe each month and learn more about the 28-Day Mind Body Weight Loss Program.